Authorized Drivers and Passengers

Authorization to drive a Motor Pool vehicle is limited to the scope and course of the employment and duties of the driver which are defined by their job or volunteer position. The department head, dean, or his/her designee must authorize the driving assignment via the Driver Authorization Form.

Eligibility Guidelines

Drivers must:

  1. Maintain a valid driver's license
  2. Be at least 18 years of age or older
  1. Have an active status as:
    1. A University employee (including student and temporary employees);
    2. University students (including Students from Recognized Student Organizations);
    3. Department/Agency-authorized volunteers; or
    4. Employees of an authorized federal, state, local government agency
  2. Have an acceptable driving record

Authorization Period

  • Authorization is only valid during periods of employment or volunteerism at the University or government agency.
  • Students, volunteers and temporary employees can be authorized for a period of up to 1 year or until their driver’s license expires (whichever comes first). 
  • University and other government employees can be authorized until their driver’s license expires. 
  • Upon drivers' license renewal, a new drivers authorization form will need to submitted to the Motor Pool.

Suspension/Restriction of Driver’s License

  • OSU employees and volunteers who use Motor Pool vehicles must report to their department/unit supervisor any situation that may lead to their driver’s license being revoked, rescinded, suspended, or renewal being denied.
  • The driver’s supervisor must immediately forward this information to the Office of Human Resources.
  • Human Resources will notify the manager of the Motor Pool and the Office of Risk Management of the situation.
  • Failure to report such situations may result in the loss of the employee’s privilege to use Motor Pool vehicles.

Unacceptable Driving Record

A driver's record is considered unacceptable if the driver has forfeited bail or been convicted for any of the following, or reasonably similar, driving violations:

  • A single conviction, guilty plea or nolo contendere plea for operating a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants, hit and run driving, vehicular negligent injury, reckless operation of a vehicle, failing to perform the duties of a driver, criminal driving while suspended or revoked, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, or similar violation within the past 24 months.
  • Felony revocation of driving privileges or felony or misdemeanor driver license suspension in the past 24 months;
  • More than three convictions, guilty pleas and/or nolo contendere pleas for moving traffic violations in the last 12 months;
  • A careless driving conviction in the last 12 months; or
  • A Class A moving traffic infraction in the last 12 months.
  • The time periods begin at the later date of the violation, forfeiture, or conviction.

Authorization Suspension

Authorization to use a Motor Pool vehicle can be suspended by the Motor Pool, if in the best interest of the University.  Causes for suspension may include, but are not limited to:

  • Unacceptable driving record, see Acceptable Driving Record
  • Operating Motor Pool vehicles in violation of the law, including posted speed limits and other moving violations
  • Noncompliance with Motor Pool policies and procedures.
  • Physical evidence of alcoholic beverages or unlawful drugs having been in a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Operation of vehicles while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs, whether or not a citation was issued or a conviction occurs
  • Damage or excessive soiling of the vehicle interior
  • Citizen’s complaint of misuse of a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Any action detrimental to the function or public image of the University
  • Three or more citations for moving violations in a year
  • Suspensions may be appealed by written request to the Director of Transportation Services. For information on how to contact the director, please call (541) 737-4141.


Authorized Passengers

  • Individuals traveling on official University, state or local government business.
  • Personnel employed by other public entities who are traveling on official public business may accompany an OSU driver if the use is for official OSU purposes.
  • Necessary chauffeurs (paid or unpaid) not currently operating the vehicle.
  • Passengers not identified in this policy are prohibited from traveling in a Motor Pool vehicle.

Non-Authorized Passengers

Examples of non-authorized passengers include: persons not on Official state or local government business (No Hitchhikers, Children, Family Members, Friends); and animals unrelated to official university or government business.