Authorization to drive a Motor Pool vehicle is limited to official university business as determined by the sponsoring department.

The department head, dean, or his/her designee must authorize the driving assignment via the Driver Authorization Form.

Authorization Period

  • Authorization is only valid during periods of employment or volunteerism at the University or government agency.
  • Students, volunteers and temporary employees can be authorized for a period of up to 1 year or until their driver’s license expires (whichever comes first). 
  • University and other government employees can be authorized until their driver’s license expires. 
  • Upon drivers' license renewal, a new drivers authorization form will need to submitted to the Motor Pool.

Elligible drivers must:

  1. Maintain a valid driver's license,
  2. Be at least 18 years of age or older,
  3. Have an active status as:
    1. University employee (including student and temporary employees);
    2. University students (including Students from Recognized Student Organizations);
    3. Department/Agency-authorized volunteers; or
    4. Employees of an authorized federal, state, local government agency
  4. Have an acceptable driving record, and
  5. Have a signed Driver's Authorization form on file with the motor pool office.

Suspension/Restriction of Driver’s License

  • OSU employees and volunteers who use Motor Pool vehicles must report to their department/unit supervisor any situation that may lead to their driver’s license being revoked, rescinded, suspended, or renewal being denied.
  • The driver’s supervisor must immediately forward this information to the Office of Human Resources.
  • Human Resources will notify the manager of the Motor Pool and the Office of Risk Management of the situation.
  • Failure to report such situations may result in the loss of the employee’s privilege to use Motor Pool vehicles.

Unacceptable Driving Record

A driver's record is considered unacceptable if the driver has forfeited bail or been convicted for any of the following, or reasonably similar, driving violations:

  • A single conviction, guilty plea or nolo contendere plea for operating a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants, hit and run driving, vehicular negligent injury, reckless operation of a vehicle, failing to perform the duties of a driver, criminal driving while suspended or revoked, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, or similar violation within the past 24 months.
  • Felony revocation of driving privileges or felony or misdemeanor driver license suspension in the past 24 months;
  • More than three convictions, guilty pleas and/or nolo contendere pleas for moving traffic violations in the last 12 months;
  • A careless driving conviction in the last 12 months; or
  • A Class A moving traffic infraction in the last 12 months.
  • The time periods begin at the later date of the violation, forfeiture, or conviction.

Authorization Suspension

Authorization to use a Motor Pool vehicle can be suspended by the Motor Pool, if in the best interest of the University.  Causes for suspension may include, but are not limited to:

  • Unacceptable driving record, see Acceptable Driving Record
  • Operating Motor Pool vehicles in violation of the law, including posted speed limits and other moving violations
  • Noncompliance with Motor Pool policies and procedures.
  • Physical evidence of alcoholic beverages or unlawful drugs having been in a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Operation of vehicles while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs, whether or not a citation was issued or a conviction occurs
  • Damage or excessive soiling of the vehicle interior
  • Citizen’s complaint of misuse of a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Any action detrimental to the function or public image of the University
  • Three or more citations for moving violations in a year
  • Suspensions may be appealed by written request to the Director of Transportation Services. For information on how to contact the director, please call (541) 737-4141.


Authorized Passengers

  • Individuals traveling on official University, state or local government business.
  • Personnel employed by other public entities who are traveling on official public business may accompany an OSU driver if the use is for official OSU purposes.
  • Necessary chauffeurs (paid or unpaid) not currently operating the vehicle.
  • Passengers not identified in this policy are prohibited from traveling in a Motor Pool vehicle.

Non-Authorized Passengers

Examples of non-authorized passengers include: persons not on Official state or local government business (No Hitchhikers, Children, Family Members, Friends); and animals unrelated to official university or government business.