State Vehicle Use Rules

Authorized Drivers and Passengers

Authorization to drive a Motor Pool vehicle is limited to official university business as determined by the sponsoring department.

The department head, dean, or his/her designee must authorize the driving assignment via the Driver Authorization Form.


  • Authorization is only valid during periods of employment or volunteerism at the University or government agency.
  • Students, volunteers and temporary employees can be authorized for a period of up to 1 year or until their driver’s license expires (whichever comes first). 
  • University and other government employees can be authorized until their driver’s license expires. 
  • Upon drivers' license renewal, a new drivers authorization form will need to submitted to the Motor Pool.


  1. Maintain a valid driver's license,
  2. Be at least 18 years of age or older,
  3. Have an active status as:
    1. University employee (including student and temporary employees);
    2. University students (including Students from Recognized Student Organizations);
    3. Department/Agency-authorized volunteers; or
    4. Employees of an authorized federal, state, local government agency
  4. Have an acceptable driving record, and
  5. Have a signed Driver's Authorization form on file with the motor pool office.

Suspension/Restriction of Driver’s License

  • OSU employees and volunteers who use Motor Pool vehicles must report to their department/unit supervisor any situation that may lead to their driver’s license being revoked, rescinded, suspended, or renewal being denied.
  • The driver’s supervisor must immediately forward this information to the Office of Human Resources.
  • Human Resources will notify the manager of the Motor Pool and the Office of Risk Management of the situation.
  • Failure to report such situations may result in the loss of the employee’s privilege to use Motor Pool vehicles.

Unacceptable Driving Record

A driver's record is considered unacceptable if the driver has forfeited bail or been convicted for any of the following, or reasonably similar, driving violations:

  • A single conviction, guilty plea or nolo contendere plea for operating a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants, hit and run driving, vehicular negligent injury, reckless operation of a vehicle, failing to perform the duties of a driver, criminal driving while suspended or revoked, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, or similar violation within the past 24 months.
  • Felony revocation of driving privileges or felony or misdemeanor driver license suspension in the past 24 months;
  • More than three convictions, guilty pleas and/or nolo contendere pleas for moving traffic violations in the last 12 months;
  • A careless driving conviction in the last 12 months; or
  • A Class A moving traffic infraction in the last 12 months.
  • The time periods begin at the later date of the violation, forfeiture, or conviction.

Authorization Suspension

Authorization to use a Motor Pool vehicle can be suspended by the Motor Pool, if in the best interest of the University.  Causes for suspension may include, but are not limited to:

  • Unacceptable driving record, see Acceptable Driving Record
  • Operating Motor Pool vehicles in violation of the law, including posted speed limits and other moving violations
  • Noncompliance with Motor Pool policies and procedures.
  • Physical evidence of alcoholic beverages or unlawful drugs having been in a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Operation of vehicles while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs, whether or not a citation was issued or a conviction occurs
  • Damage or excessive soiling of the vehicle interior
  • Citizen’s complaint of misuse of a Motor Pool vehicle
  • Any action detrimental to the function or public image of the University
  • Three or more citations for moving violations in a year
  • Suspensions may be appealed by written request to the Director of Transportation Services. For information on how to contact the director, please call (541) 737-4141.



  • Read and comply with Motor Pool policies.
  • Ensure that all safety devices, including seat belts, are used by all of the vehicle's occupants
  • Operate vehicles in accordance with Federal, state, and local regulations, traffic laws
  • Lock the vehicle when not in use.
  • Report unsafe vehicle conditions to the Motor Pool
  • Report all accidents, license suspensions, and traffic violations to the driver's department supervisor as well as to the Motor Pool
  • Maintain the interior of the vehicle in a clean and orderly manner. Failure to do so may result in an additional cleaning fee. For a complete list of our charges and fees, see Rental Rates.
  • Driver is responsible for the payment of all fines or traffic violations associated with their Motor Pool vehicle rental. University funds may not be used for payment.
  • Return the vehicle to the Motor Pool upon completion of the trip, or notify the Motor Pool office if the vehicle cannot be returned on time.

Authorized Passengers

  • Individuals traveling on official University, state or local government business.
  • Personnel employed by other public entities who are traveling on official public business may accompany an OSU driver if the use is for official OSU purposes.
  • Necessary chauffeurs (paid or unpaid) not currently operating the vehicle.
  • Passengers not identified in this policy are prohibited from traveling in a Motor Pool vehicle.

Non-Authorized Passengers

Examples of non-authorized passengers include: persons not on Official state or local government business (No Hitchhikers, Children, Family Members, Friends); and animals unrelated to official university or government business.

Prohibited Uses in Motor Pool Vehicles

  • Office travel to home, except as authorized by a department when a task or trip requires a driver to depart early or return late and it is impractical to pick up or return the vehicle to state parking on the same day.
  • Personal use. Vehicles are not to be used for personal errands or other similar activities. However, a driver that is using a motor pool vehicle for official university business that coincides with a personal purpose (e.g. stopping for a meal en route) is allowed.
  • No consumption of alcoholic beverages or possession of alcoholic beverage containers (empty or full) is allowed in Motor Pool vehicles. The Motor Pool will deny vehicle privileges to any employee who violates these guidelines.
  • Smoking is not permitted in Motor Pool vehicles.

Personal Liability

Vehicle use contrary to OSU standards or policies is outside the definition of official university business, and is therefore not covered. Any damage or restoration costs resulting from unauthorized or illegal use of state vehicles will be the complete responsibility of the driver.

Vehicle Modifications

No modifications may be made to a Motor Pool vehicle without prior written consent from the Motor Pool.

Parking on Campus

Motor Pool vehicles (including those on permanent assignment) are allowed to park in any A, B or C zoned lot on the OSU Corvallis campus.  They cannot be parked in reserved and ADA spaces unless the appropriate parking permit displayed.  If parking in a metered parking space, the driver must pay the meter.